Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Fred Free--on Losing and Finding

From the notes of Fred Free, USA

February 12, 2014--For whatever reason, I had been thinking lately how awful it would be to be a visual artist and to lose your sight. So in the spirit of blind target shooting (http://www.headrush.in/outbound/activities/target-shooting/), I chose the bits for these pieces with my eyes closed (previously cut bits from my categorized boxes). I turned the pieces over, applied glue with my eyes open, closed my eyes again, attached the pieces to the targets, and saw the results when I was done. What I lost in compositional control, I gained in simply experiencing this Pin-the-Donkey-on-the-Target process. I don't want to be losing my sight anytime soon, but in a strange way, and all results aside, this was truly an eye-opener.


Untitled 1, 2014


Untitled 2, 2014



No comments:

Post a Comment